Winter Farm Shop Energy Efficiency Checklist and Tips
The farm shop is often the second most used building during the winter next to the home. It needs to be well insulated and sealed to keep energy use to a minimum.
Questions to Ask:
- Is insulation adequate in the walls, ceiling, and doors of the shop?
- Do the doors fit tightly to limit air infiltration?
- Do you have insulation around the shop floor and foundation that extends at least two feet below ground?
- Do you use your waste engine oil for heating the shop?
- Do you have good economical lighting in the shop?
- Do you have a minimal amount of windows in the shop?
- Are windows double-glazed?
- Do large shop doors face south or east?
- Do you have a dense shelter-belt on the west and north sides of your farmstead?