Tractor and Field Operations Energy Efficiency Checklist and Tips
It's harvest time once again and time to get the old equipment running smoothly. Field operations are one of the largest uses of energy on most farms, so it is helpful to examine reducing or eliminating operations for reductions in energy use. Conservation tillage systems conserve fuel by cutting down on the number of passes across fields.
Questions to ask:
- Are you using radial tires, and are they properly inflated?
- Is your tractor properly matched to the implement you are using?
- Are you reducing the engine RPM speed when a larger tractor is used with a smaller implement?
- Is your tractor wheel slippage excessive?
- Is a change or reduction in tillage practices possible?
- Is fuel storage shaded?
- Have your engine fuel filters and air cleaner been replaced or serviced as recommended by the manufacturer?
- Have your engine fuel injectors been cleaned and serviced properly?
- Are you using a timer on your tractor's engine heater?